Thursday 11 June 2015

Who built Old Pennar School

NThe Pembrokeshire Herald and General Advertiser for 28 February 1873 carried this announcement:
Is anyone out there related to Mr I Hughes?
In one of my earlier posts I showed a photograph of firemen parading at the top of Treowen Road, with the school in the background. A pall of smoke from the oil tanks fire in the late summer of 1940 hangs over the scene. It is noticeable how dark the school building appears. This puzzled me until I studied the picture below:

The render on the top half of the building, probably original, contains much local Old Red Sandstone  grit with lime.

The lighter, lower render is much more recent and contains much cement, making it much lighter.

It would seem that the darker colour of the building in the photograph of firemen on parade may well be due to the dark nature of the Old Red Sandstone inclusion.






A final reminder about the meeting tonight! Location is

Pennar Hall, Treowen Road, Pembroke Dock, SA72 6NZ- See below!







No comments:

Post a Comment

I would be glad to hear readers comments. Politeness and civility at all times please!